Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Why do so many Jews take their culture for granted?  I have many friends who basically know ZERO about their religion.  Converts have to work so hard to be accepted and get through the conversion even though it says in the Torah that they are to be accepted even if they know very little and are not ready to observe all the mitzvot.  

I know people who have moved here from predominantly Jewish communities and have a rude awakening when arriving in Middle Tennessee.  They long for the latkes on demand and the kosher delis of their past.  Things you have taken for granted your whole life suddenly have disappeared.  So basically what I am saying is don't take your culture or birthright for granted.  Embrace it.  I have a friend who was afraid to put her menorah up.  I suppose she thought someone would burn a cross in her yard but actually we don't do that in Tennessee anymore.

I am working towards conversion and hope I make it.  It has been several long years of studying and praying and learning and I have loved every minute of it.  One of the funniest things is when I tell a Jewish person that I go to an orthodox Shul.  They look at me like I have two heads.  You can see them thinking "oh crap I need to get away from this nut!'  It's amusing but annoying at times.  Wish me luck everyone on my travels through my journey to judaism.

No comments: